How to Prepare for Mediation: Divorce Mediation Checklist
Here is a brief divorce mediation checklist to help you prepare for your first appointment.
Divorce Mediation Checklist: Questions for the Mediator
Make a list of questions that you have for the mediator. Before agreeing to use the mediator, you and your spouse should have an opportunity to speak with them. You'll want to ask about:
- Mediator's experience
- Cost of mediation/fees
- Availability for meetings
- Experience mediating the specific issues that will be dealt with in your divorce
Divorce Mediation Checklist: List Your Concerns
Make a list of all of your concerns. You may not address them in your first appointment, but it's important to start writing them down. To keep yourself organized, try to cluster your concerns about a specific topic. For example, make a list of all the concerns you have about your shared parenting agreement separately from concerns you have about dividing retirement accounts. To get you thinking, here are some topics to consider:
Divorce Mediation Checklist: Financial Documents
Collect and organize all of your financial documents. Bring them with you to each appointment. Below is a list of documents to get you started (some may not apply):
- Financial affidavits (if already completed)
- Monthly/annual budget for each party
- Tax returns with all supporting W-2s
- Investment account statements
- Bank account statements
- Retirement account statements
- Recent statements on Employee Stock Options, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, and/or Restricted Stock accounts
- Mortgage statement
- Credit card statements
- Recent statements for any outstanding loans
- Policy statements for Life Insurance and/or Annuities
- Social security estimate statements (available at www.ssa.gov)
- Full P&L for current and prior year for any businesses owned
- Insurance policies for all automobiles (write in current mileage for each vehicle)
In addition to this divorce mediation checklist, here's a list of other mediation-related posts that may be helpful:
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.